Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The End

Well, almost! The trunk is all done. The painting complete, the ball feet on, the base all finished. I was actually at the finish line and ready to drop it off to the cabinet company I use for the clear coating this past week.

Funny story about the cabinet company, though. Since I moved to Boise, they've been the ones to clear coat the larger projects I've completed while here. The people there have been wonderful to me, but I only see them every few weeks so imagine my surprise when I call my contact to set up a drop off and find out they have decided to close down for the winter season.

WHAT?? Shock! The horror. Ruh roh...

Apparently they used to do this up until three years ago (before my time here) so it's not completely unheard of (except if you're me).

So this threw me into a tail spin because I don't trust just anyone to clear coat my trunks. These pieces take hours and hours of my life and the last thing I need is some greasy flunky holding a Big Mac touching my trunk and leaving their fat little finger marks on it before it's clear coated.
Or worse? Dropping it and breaking it or just rough-housing around with it at all.
Yes, I'm a bit bitchy when it comes to the final part of the process. I admit it. But when you get used to working a certain way, it's hard to stop. Moreover, when you have a company you can trust, it's difficult to switch mid-stream without a little mental breakdown of sorts.

So, tail spin ensued, but turns out, the wonderful people at my cabinet company know a lot of good woodworkers here in Boise and they immediately put out feelers for me trying to set me up with a new (very trustworthy) shop to finish this trunk and finally get it home to my poor client who is probably losing patience at this point.

The happy ending is that I have an appointment to drop it off at a very high-end sign company on Friday where they have facilities even more impressive than the company I've worked with up until now. So the drop off is set and it will cure there for 4-5 days before I can pick it up and ship it off to its' new home and I can move onto other projects waiting for me.

Relief is an understatement. :-)








No comments:

Post a Comment